Thursday 26 January 2017

Maternity Wardrobe Essentials: Part Three

Maternity Wardrobe Essentials: Part Three

Shirts
Many would suggest a white shirt as maternity wardrobe essential, but I'm not really a white shirt kind of a person.  I do have one hanging in my wardrobe, but when did I last wear it? Who knows?? So I am not going to include a white shirt here, but if the white shirt works for you, then of course there are many maternity options out there for you.  Me; I prefer a denim shirt and the beauty is these don't even have to be maternity and you will probably already have one or two in your wardrobe.  

Here's me with my oldest, both of us rocking the denim shirt (the youngest is only 10 weeks so he has yet to try his first denim shirt!  This is my favourite one, which was all over Instagram a while back.  It's from H&M with little jewelled bugs all over the front, which sadly you can't really see from this picture.  I wore this loads during my last pregnancy, I wore it early on as the fit is quite loose, and then as my bump got bigger I wore it open with a camisole underneath.  Perfect amount of sparkle for a night out, not that there were many of those during pregnancy, and hence why I didn't want to spend/waste money on unnecessary items when I have a wardrobe full of things I could just style a little differently than usual.

As I am quite a munchkin, I find that maternity shirts just swamp me and I end up looking much bigger than I actually am and somewhat like a weeble, which as lovely as weebles are, in all honesty it's not a good look.  So I tend to style the maternity shirt by simply throwing it on over whatever I have on underneath, vest, t-shirt, dress - anything goes.  If you don't happen to have a denim shirt in your wardrobe, here's a few you could try...

The classic blue denim




Or  this one reduced in the sale




Leather Leggings
You might think I am going crazy suggesting this, but they honestly work.  In my case as I may have gained a little weight on the bum and hips (who doesn't), I have styled them slightly differently than pre-pregnancy, but with a slouchy jumper, top and blazer or an open shirt (see above) these can look great during pregnancy.  I would suggest faux leather as it's cheaper and can look pretty near the real thing if you choose right, and you don't really want to be spending hundreds of pounds on something you may only wear for a short while.  It's tricky to recommend a particular brand as I think you need to try these on, but I have always liked H&M as for what you are spending the quality and finish is pretty good. 

H&M actually do a maternity version, with an over the bump band.

 H&M Mama Leggings £24.99

But I actually wore a non-maternity pair that I had bought prior to pregnancy which had a stretchy top band (find similar here).  I would just suggest trying them on and seeing which are the most comfortable (whilst I am a lover of fashion, when pregnant comfort is super important).


Thank you for reading.  I would love to hear your comments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment