Sunday 28 February 2016

From Scruff to Buff 

(Part One - Five Minutes)

Now that we have a small child, my wardrobe has changed considerably.  There are fewer occasions to get dressed up and have a night out, and I'm often running around after the little man, so heels often aren't really an option (which when you are a little vertically challenged is not ideal).   When we do have babysitters and there is a chance to go out for a meal or grab a quick drink, I no longer have hours to get ready so I need a quick way of freshening up my look so that I am good to go in a matter of seconds.  As a busy mum, I like to find ways of smartening up that are quick and easy and thought I'd share my tips with you

If you have 5 minutes...

1) A little bit of lippy

I find that red is often best and has the most impact.  It's also a really cheap way of updating your look, more so than buying a new pair of shoes for example (at least that's how I justify my cosmetic purchases).  There are so many shades of red, and it's important to find one that you are happy with, that suits your colouring and looks good on application.  My favourites are Mac Lady Danger; a gorgeous orangey red shade that really does suit most complexions, and Nars Red Square Lip pencil, which is another orangey red shade and just amazing to apply.

Mac Lady Danger £15.50                                 Nars Red Square £20


2) A quick spritz of perfume
It's always good to smell nice, and a quick spray of your favourite perfume not only covers up any lingering hint of baby sick, but makes you feel good.  I have a couple of favourites and I think this is such a unique choice that you really need to find one that you love. But I thought I'd share my favourites with you, as I often get complimented on them. Hermes Eau Des Merveilles, love love love this, not cheap but smells gorgeous and very unique. It is quite a strong smell, but not in an overpowering way.  I don't think many people know about this as I don't smell it very often so Shhhhhh don't tell anyone.  Although it could of course be that it smells like dog turd and no one wants it, but I am hoping not as I love it and have had lots of compliments.  I have literally just used my last drop today though, so I need a new one (hint hint Mr Smith, mother's day is approaching!).  The other one is also a closely guarded secret and I have only seen it stocked at Anthropologie.  It's from the Royal Apothic Conservatory Collection in Peony.   I am a little worried that they may not be stocking the larger size anymore, as I can't find it on online.  This one is a little subtler, and I often wear it during the day, but it really is a beautiful smell and translates well to evening wear too.  The beauty of this is that it also comes in a handy little travel size that is really easy to carry around with you and reapply if you need to get ready on the go.



 
3) Bling it up

Even if you are in your jeans and breton (my go to mamma uniform), just a little bit of bling can easily update your outfit and take you from the park to the pub in seconds. I love my more delicate jewellery, but this is what I tend to wear on a day to day basis, so when I go out I often like something a little more striking.  This is particularly the case if I am dressed down, a little bit of sparkle will always jazz things up.  I am a bit of a magpie though and so do have to be careful, and would only recommend wearing one thing at a time.  I tend to apply Coco Chanel's rule of removing one accessory before heading out, so as not to overdo it - you really don't want to be wearing all of these at once so pick wisely!



Necklaces - I have some beautiful statement necklaces, most of which I have picked up from J Crew whilst in the states.  There are cheaper options, but the quality is really good and they are a little more unique.  I have bought cheaper options, but have often found myself having to glue the jewels back on (or losing the jewels before I can do this), so if you're likely to get lots of wear out of them I would suggest investing in these pieces wisely.  Here are a couple of statement necklaces that I am currently loving.




 

Earrings - I don't really wear earrings anymore, after almost having had my ear lobe pulled off by my little one when he was a baby, I learnt my lesson and now reserve my ear bling for nights out sans child.  As per Coco's rules, I would probably only go for necklace or earrings and rarely both.  Here are a couple of earrings that can add that extra bit of sparkle for a night out.



I'll be back soon with part two, for when you have a little bit longer to get ready...

Thank you for reading and as always I would love to hear your comments and tips.

1 comment:

  1. I love those perfumes- I reall like the Carnation one, though always get scared of using perfumes from places like Anthropolgie as I worry I'll get attached to them and then they won't be there forever. Sure they're available in other places as well though so maybe I should take the plunge!

    ReplyDelete